PR – Dear digital creators working in the film industry in the Caribbean, we invite you to present your animation and visual effects products in the framework of the 10th edition of the International Visual Effects Festival, the PIDS Enghien, which will take place from 31 January to 3 February 2024 in the city of Enghien-les-Bains, France, with the Caribbean, for the first time, as a participating region.
In the framework of this event, the Programme Transcultura: Integrating Cuba, the Caribbean and the European Union through Culture and Creativity, funded by the European Union and implemented by the UNESCO Regional Office for Culture in Latin America and the Caribbean, has partnered with the Arts Centre of the city of Enghien-les-Bains — a research, creation and dissemination centre specialised in digital arts — to open an opportunity to up to six (6) young Caribbean digital creators, between 18 and 35 years of age, working in the film industry, to exhibit their animation and visual effects products in this important Festival in Europe, representing one of the following 17 countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago.
Through this call and joint action for cultural exchange and cooperation, Transcultura will: • Cover the costs (round-trip economy class flights, arrival and departure transfers 1, visa fees —if necessary—, accommodation in a 3-star hotel —or similar— within the city of Enghien-les-Bains —or any other neighbouring town—, 3 meals per day and daily transport —if necessary—) for the international mobility to Enghien-les-Bains, France, from 30 January to 4 February 2024 (5 nights), of up to a maximum of 6 young Caribbean digital creators working in the film industry, representing at least two of the three different linguistic areas covered by the Programme (English, French and Spanish). Please note that UNESCO does not provide medical insurance services to other travellers. Travellers are responsible for self-insuring themselves for any medical services and costs they may incur during their mission trip.
Please note that no pocket money will be provided, as UNESCO Transcultura will cover all the aforementioned expenses.
- Facilitate the interaction of the young Caribbean digital creators with a specialised and general public, through a professional stand and by sponsoring open access to networking activities (presentations,
1(i) From the airport in Paris(France) to the hotel in the city of Enghien-les-Bains(France) —or any other neighbouring town—; (ii) from the hotel in the city of Enghien-les-Bains (France) —or any other neighbouring town— to the airport in Paris.
Génie Awards celebration, job fair, movies projections, among others), in the framework of the PIDS Enghien Festival.
- Sponsor a one and a half-day workshop on the following question: how to optimize film production with the help of VFX? at the ARTFX VFX School in Enghien-les-Bains, with trilingual interpretation services provided.
This initiative will facilitate a high visibility of the selected young Caribbean digital creators in the European visual effects market through a multiple programme of activities that will equip them with enhanced professional tools and connections for their career development.
In this document, you will find all the information you need to successfully submit your application.
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to represent the visual effects sector of the Caribbean far beyond its seas. So, hurry up, carefully read the details below and send your application!
Bring your digital animation abilities and visual effects products to Europe!
UNESCO Transcultura Programme Team
Context and objectives of this Call to young Caribbean digital creators working in the film industry:
PIDS Enghien has been the meeting place for visual effects and digital animation since 2015. PIDS Enghien is an event created by the Enghien-les-Bains Arts Centre dedicated to visual effects, which addresses the creative, technical and economic challenges of a sector in perpetual evolution. This international event is constantly growing, bringing together more and more visitors and conferences. During its latest edition in 2023, it brought together over 2200 participants, broadcasted approximately twenty conferences, and welcomed major figures from the world of visual effects such as Doug Chang and Alain Carsoux.
Figures from the 2023 edition:
|● 2205 participants (professional event and general public) | 1795 participants in 2022. ● 777 job fair registrations (face-to-face and online combined)) | 216 in 2022
● 451 Génie Awards ceremony registrations| 434 in 2022
● 69 conferences
● 20 speakers
● 807 students (33 classes) | 500 students (18 classes) in 2022
● 326 persons in the master class by Doug Chiang | 97 in 2022
● 736 visitors from the general public
The ARTFX School
Created in Montpellier in 2004, ARTFX is an international graduate school in cinema, special effects, animation and videogames. Since then, it has a campus in Lille and a school in Enghien-les-Bains that brings together 70 students in a master’s degree in 3D and digital special effects. Thanks to its worldwide renown, the Rookies’ international rankings awarded the school with the following accolades in 2022: 1st school in Special Effects (for the 4th consecutive year); 3rd school in Game Design and Development and 8th in 3D Animation in the “Production of Excellence” category, which rewards the quality of end-of-studies projects carried out as a team.
ARTFX offers training and courses in various special effects fields:
- 3D and VFX
- Video game design and animation
- 2D Animation
- Digital programming
- Artistic preparation
Taking into account the above, the main objectives of this UNESCO Transcultura Programme´s joint action — thanks to the partnership with the Enghien-les-Bains Arts Centre and the PIDS Enghien — are to: • Provide young Caribbean digital creators working in the film industry free access to professional opportunities through participation in networking activities with key stakeholders from the European visual effects market;
- Facilitate young Caribbean digital creators working in the film industry a space for enhancing their professional competences through knowledge and skills transfer in the digital visual effects sector during a specialised workshop at the ARTFX special effects school;
- Strengthen the international exposure of the Caribbean visual effects sector in Europe through the presentation of professional portfolios and the exchange of best practices in the use of the latest technologies and innovations in the world of special effects, during PIDS XP.
Furthermore, the Transcultura Programme, launched on 1 January 2020 and due to end in December 2024, aims to create an enabling environment for young women and men to fully participate in the development of their countries and the region, fostering intercultural dialogue and culture as a driver for sustainable development, as well as empowering them to exercise and fulfil their economic and cultural rights. Within its “Twinning and Joint Actions for Cultural Exchange and Cooperation” component, Transcultura generates associations between institutions, authorities, universities, artists, professionals, culture operators and civil society in the region and in Europe, fostering long-term knowledge transfer and mutual learning in the Cultural and Creative Industries sector and opening new markets for them.
It is precisely with the aim of serving as a cultural bridge between the Cultural and Creative sectors of the Caribbean that the Transcultura Programme has joined a major visual effects event in Europe to ensure a more integrated, regular and far-reaching presence of young Caribbean digital creators in its multiple and simultaneous activities.
Eligibility criteria / Who can apply?
- Young Caribbean digital creators working in the film industry, between 18 and 35 years of age, who are citizens and legal residents of any of the 17 Caribbean countries included in the geographical scope of the Transcultura Programme: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago.
- Proposals must be submitted before and no later than 23:59 on 3 November 2023, Havana time (GMT -4 hours).
- Proposals should be submitted by sending an email to the following address: email@example.com, with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject: “Proposal for PIDS Enghien 2023”
- The email should contain the following different annexes/files and information submitted: 1. Submission of the application form
Application form duly completed (access the file here)
- Annex/file # 1
Photos in any of the following formats: JPEG, PNG, TIFF, PSD, SVG:
- High resolution (300 dpi) images of the applicant (Attached image files should be named as follows: last name_first name_image number. For example: Smith_Diane_01.jpg), b. Scanned, legible copy of the applicant’s biographical page from the applicant’s Passport. 3. Annex/file # 2
Links (in a Word or PDF document) to your visual effects products, either published as part of an audiovisual (short or full-length film, documentary, etc.) or unpublished, as a work in progress.
- Once all applications have been received, they will be subjected to a rigorous selection process by a Selection Committee.
- The jury will select up to 6 young Caribbean digital creators, representing at least two of the three different linguistic areas (English, French and Spanish) covered by the UNESCO Transcultura Programme, to participate in the 10th edition of the International Visual Effects Festival, the PIDS Enghien, from 31 January to 3 February 2024 in the city of Enghien-les-Bains, France.
- The digital creators will be selected based on the quality of their digital and visual effects products and the merits achieved through their work.
− Only applications from applicants who are citizens and permanent residents of any of the aforementioned 17 countries will be considered.
− Once all applications are received, the jury may request additional information, so please keep checking your inbox regularly.
− The UNESCO Transcultura Programme reserves the right to use the applicants’ information for strict programmatic purposes and to preserve confidentiality.
− Only the selected persons will be contacted, no later than 10 working days after the application deadline.
Deadline for submission of proposals to this UNESCO Transcultura Call for young Caribbean digital creators working in the film industry:
- Friday, 3 November 2023, 23:59 Havana time (GMT -4 hours)
Contact: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about the UNESCO Transcultura Programme, please visit: https://en.unesco.org/fieldoffice/havana/transcultura