Patient Shot At Hospital In St Vincent

(CMC)Health authorities in St Vincent Wednesday said they were reviewing security operations at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital after a patient was shot on Tuesday night.

“There were no physical injuries to any staff members or other patients as a result of this disturbing incident,” the Ministry of Health said in a statement, adding that the incident occurred at approximately 11:30 p.m.

The statement did not name the patient, but the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) was informed that on Wednesday two people were taken into custody in connection with the shooting of Connel Jack, 26, who was a patient at the hospital recovering from gunshot wounds sustained on Sunday night.

Jack was shot again in hospital about 12 hours after Camran Miller, alias ‘Boogie’, was shot and killed, bringing to eight the number of people murdered so far this year.

In the statement, the health ministry said that it wanted to “commend the brave work of the team of healthcare workers on duty during this incident who remained focused on saving lives and the well-being of our patients.”

It also noted the additional support and security provided by the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force immediately after the incident and that it  “commits to reviewing the security measures currently in place at the MCMH and our other facilities with a view to the implementation of additional measures identified to be necessary.”

The statement said that its psychosocial team had been activated and commenced the provision of support to the healthcare team and the patients at the hospital.

The ministry said that it was requesting the support of the nation “as we continue to work to provide health care services in safe and health enhancing environments.”