Man Dies After Trying To Drink All 21 Cocktails On Menu During Family Vacation In Jamaica

(NEW YORK POST) – A UK man on vacation with his family in Jamaica died after attempting to partake in a challenge that involved drinking all 21 cocktails featured on a bar’s menu.

Timothy Southern had finished 12 of the menu’s various cocktails when he returned to his hotel room at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Saint Ann, where he later died, ITV News reported.

A pathologist in Kingston said the 53-year-old Staffordshire man’s cause of death was “acute gastroenteritis due to alcohol consumption.”

Staffordshire-area coroner Emma Serrano ruled his death was alcohol-related, the outlet reported.

An initial investigation into Southern’s death found that he had been drinking brandy and beer throughout the morning.

At some point during the day, Southern met two Canadian women celebrating a birthday.

The women told him they were trying to complete the 21-cocktail challenge before midnight as part of their festivities.

It was not immediately clear how quickly Southern consumed the 12 cocktails.

His family members — who were on the trip with him — said they tried in vain to help him.

“He was on his back choking. I put him in the recovery position and screamed for an ambulance. He was making a gurgling sound. As soon as he was in the recovery position, he vomited. I was shouting his name with no response,” one of his family members told authorities.

The family has since expressed outrage and dissatisfaction with the emergency crews who tried to save him in his hotel, claiming they were unprepared to effectively take care of him.

“When the nurse arrived, I said had an ambulance been called and she said ‘no.’ I thought she would take over. But that was not the case. I noticed he was starting to lose temperature. I checked his pulse and couldn’t find it,” the relative said.

“She said he had a pulse. I was starting to lose it. I got a full look at his face and I thought he had passed away.”

The relative claimed that the nurse was not adequately trained in providing life-saving measures.

“I said, ‘Don’t just sit there looking at him, start CPR.’ She only gave him chest compressions. Maybe if she had known what she was doing, maybe he would still be here.”

The grieving relative added: “The service and treatment he received was disgusting.”