American Tourist Dies, Wife Badly Injured After Being Electrocuted In Hot Tub At Mexican Resort: Report

(NEW YORK POST) – An American tourist died and his wife was badly injured while lounging in a hot tub at a private Mexican resort Tuesday — and authorities believe they were likely electrocuted by the malfunctioning device.

The 43-year-old man, whom authorities only identified as Jorge G., of El Paso, Texas, was killed and Lizette Z. suffered life-threatening injuries around 10 p.m. at the Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco, the General Prosecutor’s Office for the State of Sonora said, according to KTSM.

Lizette Z. was taken to the US and is in critical condition, the station reported.

The wife had burns that appeared to indicate she suffered electric shock that might have been caused by faulty wiring, the General Prosecutor’s Office reportedly said.

A witness who knew the couple said she saw the pair in the outdoor hot tub, but neither was moving, according to the General Prosecutor’s Office.

When the bystander tried to help the couple, she was shocked and was forced to call for help.

The cause of death has not been officially determined, the El Paso Times reported.

The incident is under investigation.

An Arizona woman staying at the resort, Sara Gaitan-Perez, told Arizona Daily Star she and others tried to aid the victims, but the man didn’t have a pulse when she arrived.

“We had just come from the pool, and my husband and son were in that very same (hot tub) about an hour before,” she told the newspaper.

The resort could not be reached for comment Wednesday.