The National Disaster Management Agency (NaDMA) has activated its National tropical cyclone plan in response to the pending threat of a strong Tropical Wave which has the potential of becoming a tropical depression within the next 48 – 72 hours.
Forecasters at the Met Office reported that at 2pm, the tropical wave axis was along 42°W from 02°N-16°N, approximately 1160 nautical miles east of Grenada.
The disturbance is moving W around 15 kt.
This system is forecast to approach the Windward Islands on Tue, then move across the southeastern Caribbean Sea on Wednesday and Thursday on a westward track.
Combined the two tropical waves are expected to bring heavy rain and gusty winds to the Windward Islands Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.
Preparation Tips for citizens to follow:
- Continue to monitor NaDMA’s social media page and media houses for weather forecasts and updates.
- Reduce hazards in and around your home; cut overhanging trees, restrain loose outdoor furniture’s and items, clean clogged gutters and blocked drains
- Review your family plan; discuss with members actions to be taken if the hazard impact the island
- Ensure emergency contact numbers are updated and shared
- Identify the nearest shelter to your home. (List shared on NaDMA’s facebook page)
- Check your emergency supply kit
- Safeguard important documents
NaDMA through the Meteorological Office will continue to monitor the system and provide timely updates.