PR – The Grenada Trades‘ Union Council (GTUC) extends deepest condolences to the families and friends who have lost loved ones in this period, especially due to Covid–19.
The GTUC once again calls on the Grenada Government to address and implement the following:
- Workers/people testing positive for Covid–19 must not travel on public transport. The state has the ultimate responsibility to provide a safe environment for the citizens.
- The Government must provide additional “isolation centers” to include other parishes beside St. George for positive Covid–19 cases. Most families are not able to properly accommodate positive cases at home. This challenge has the potential to create family disputes.
- Workers and other confirmed positive Covid–19 people, ought to be re–tested after the fourteen (14) day isolation period to confirm their negative status. This will give added comfort to the rest of the work force and allow for a smooth reengagement at the workplace.
- The state must seek additional accommodation to cater for the increased hospitalisation of Covid–19 patients – emphasis must be on striving to save lives.
- Workers (both public and private sector) must not suffer any loss of income due to Covid–19/pandemic leave or quarantine.
- The state must urgently allocate additional resources to provide for the sustenance of vulnerable and impacted families.
- There should be the enforcement of at least a two (2) week “lock–down” period – this could be used for testing and vaccination purposes also.