(CMC) — Trinidad and Tobago on Monday registered more deaths from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic while St Lucia and Barbados reported new cases of the virus over the past 24 hours.
Trinidad’s Ministry of Health in its latest bulletin said that 10 deaths were recorded and 148 new positive cases, pushing the totals to 747 and 30,767 respectively. There are 8,148 active cases.
The ministry said that the new figures were for the period June 17-20 and that 21,872 people have recovered from the virus, while 465 are in hospitals, 225 in state sanctioned facilities and 7,387 in home isolation.
The 10 deaths included seven women and three men, all having co-morbidities.
Meanwhile, the Chief Medical Officer, Dr Roshan Parasram Monday said it “seems likely” that the island has recorded a second case of vaccine-induced thrombocytopenia thrombosis that develops four to 30 days after vaccination.
The health authorities say the symptoms include severe headache, visual changes, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, back pain, shortness of breath, leg pain or swelling, and easy bruising or bleeding.
Trinidad and Tobago recorded its first case in May and Dr Parasram speaking at the Ministry of Health news conference said the patient is improving.
But he also told reporters it “seems likely that it might be another case of that syndrome”.
“So that will be two cases if that is confirmed — hopefully by the end of the day or thereabout,” he said, telling reporters other mild, “allergic-type reactions” have been recorded locally.
“I know of a few cases that had to go to hospital. They have been treated and they are well and they were discharged,” he said, noting however that there have been no COVID-19 vaccine-related deaths in Trinidad and Tobago.
In Barbados, there were two positive cases of COVID-19, a male and a female, recorded over the past 24 hours out of the 352 tests conducted by the Best-dos Santos Public Health Laboratory.
The number of people in isolation is 10.
A total of 4,045 COVID-19 cases — 1,955 females and 2,090 males — have been confirmed since the pandemic began in March last year. Forty-seven people have succumbed to the virus. Tests carried out by the public health laboratory have reached 180,265, so far.
Meanwhile, St Lucia health authorities were reporting five new cases of COVID-19 from a batch of 113 samples that were taken from June 17-19.
The ministry said it had also received news of the recovery of six individuals, bringing the total number of active cases in country to 71. All active cases are currently doing well and none of them are situated in the intensive care unit. The new positives bring the total number of cases diagnosed in country to date to 5216, the ministry added.