(NEW YORK POST) – Facebook has not notified the more than half-billion users who were affected by a 2019 data leak — and has no plans to do so, a company spokesman said Wednesday.
The leaks of 530 million users’ information — obtained by the misuse of a feature at the time, was first revealed last week by Business Insider.
Phone numbers and other details from user profiles were obtained by “malicious actors” that were “scraping” profiles using a vulnerability in a contact syncing tool, Facebook said Tuesday.
The social network said it had fixed the issue in September 2019.
Thirty-two million of the affected users were in the US, but no financial information or passwords were stolen, the outlet reported.
Facebook reached a landmark agreement with the US Federal Trade Commission in 2019 that requires the company to report breaches affecting 500 or more users, following a massive data leak to the political research firm Cambridge Analytica.
The company was now in contact with regulators, it said Wednesday.