Close To Forty Persons In Quarantine After Contact Tracing, Following Latest Breach Of Protocols

PR –  Thirty-eight persons are now in quarantine following  aggressive contact tracing efforts by the Ministry of Health, in the wake of a breach of  Grenada’s COVID-19 protocols by a medical doctor and his wife who arrived here on  November 1st

The individuals, who were approved for home quarantine, visited four restaurants in the south  of the island before receiving the results of their PCR tests that were conducted on November  5th.  

Records of the names of staff and patrons were provided to health officials by three of the  four facilities, but one was non-compliant. 

Health Minister, Hon. Nickolas Steele warned that the non-compliant facility could face  possible fines. “In keeping with the Public Health Regulations, there is the possibility of fines.  As Minister, I have no intention of seeing any non-compliant establishment reopen. As we  announced previously, we have stepped up monitoring establishments as we approach the  Christmas season, and those that are non-compliant; from accommodation establishments to  entertainment establishments will be closed until they have gone through again, the necessary  training, and have convinced the Ministry of Health and the contact tracing team that they are  compliant.” 

The 38 individuals quarantined due to the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 positive cases,  are awaiting their first round of tests, which will be conducted on Friday. 

Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Shawn Charles is appealing to establishments to follow the  protocols, which he says will reduce the burden of anxiety that can be placed on the public.  “It further drives home the importance of businesses following the protocols and guidelines  that are issued by the Ministry of Health.”  

While all other protocols were followed, a GPS device was not placed on the individuals who  breached the protocols, unknowing to the Ministry of Health, which sees placement of the  device as mandatory. Minister Steele said “It was not from any waiver or instruction from the  Ministry of Health, neither did the Ministry know that these individuals did not receive a GPS  device.” 

Installation and monitoring of the GPS devices are undertaken by a third party service  provider. Minister Steele says Government will review that arrangement to either determine  how the provider can strengthen its capacity, or to find alternative means that meets the criteria  outlined by the Health Ministry.