Europe: Man Dies After Trying To Throw Grenade Over US Embassy Walls

Police block off the area around the U.S. Embassy in Montenegro’s capital Podgorica, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018. Local media say that an unknown assailant hurled a hand grenade toward the embassy at around midnight local time (1100 GMT) and then killed himself with another explosive device. (AP Photo/Risto Bozovic)

(CNN) – A man died after attempting to throw a grenade over the wall of the US Embassy early Thursday in Montenegro’s capital of Podgorica, authorities said.

A grenade appeared to have gone off as it was thrown into the air, and the man detonated a second device that killed him, police said, calling the death a suicide.

The man’s body was found 100 feet from the embassy’s wall, according to Steve Goldstein, US undersecretary of state for public diplomacy and public affairs. The man’s motive for throwing the device was unclear, Goldstein said.

One grenade was thrown into the embassy courtyard, while a second one killed the unidentified male, according to the government of the Baltic country.

In a statement, Montenegrin police confirmed they had found the “lifeless body of an unidentified male”.

“According to the investigation so far, this male person was killed due to the activation of an explosive device after having previously thrown an explosive device — a bomb — into the US Embassy courtyard,” the statement said.

Police said the embassy incurred no damage “other than the crater remaining at the site where the bomb exploded”, adding that “evidence from the site has been collected and it will be subject to expert evaluation”.

The embassy issued a statement Thursday morning saying there was “an active security situation” near the building in Podgorica.

In a post later on Twitter, the embassy said, “Following our internal review, Embassy at Podgorica confirms all Mission personnel are safe and accounted for following the incident early this morning. Thank you all for sending us your support and kind thoughts. #Podgorica #Montenegro.”

In a follow-up tweet, it added, “We are grateful for the close cooperation with our partner and ally, the Government of Montenegro, and we thank the #Montenegrin #police for their ongoing professional
support with the investigation of today’s incident.”

Goldstein said there were no other injuries or damage to the embassy, and security officers were continuing a full sweep of the area.